Throughout the years, pastors serving other parishes in the diocese have also cared for the St. Mary Mission in Trout Lake. However, responsibility for the upkeep of church buildings and property, as well as for maintaining the spiritual vigor of church members, lies with the people who make up the congregation. Since the mission was founded in 1911, the people of St. Mary's continue to maintain the vitality of their faith community.
FOUNDING: St. Mary Mission, located 18 miles northwest of Moran, was founded in 1911 as a mission of Engadine. The Moran pastor carried out the responsibility of caring for St. Mary's from June 1941 to 1986. The mission has since been with the St. Joseph Parish family of Rudyard in a linkage which includes St. Francis Xavier of Brimley, with Rev. Timothy Hruska currently as pastor.
PARISH LIFE: Ursuline Sisters serving at St. Ignatius Loyola Parish in St. Ignace provided a summer religious education program for the youth of the mission. The church saw somewhat of a spiritual renewal among members in 1966 spurred on by the formation of the grade school girls' choir.
The original church structure served the people for 60 years. The altar society and the Holy Name Society helped support the mission. A new church building was constructed in 1970. The new structure was dedicated on March 21, 1971.
Regular attendance more than doubles in the summer months. In the winter, attendance increases with visiting snowmobilers, hikers and other outdoor enthusiasts.